We accept funding requests on an ongoing basis for projects based in the South that promote equality, safety, and/or visibility for Southern LGBTQ people. Once you submit your funding request, you will receive notification from the grants committee within one month with a decision. If your request for funding is approved, payment will be sent within 10 business from when we receive your required documentation.
Criteria to request funding:
These are required in order to receive funding:
- Must live and work in the South promoting equality, safety, and/or visibility of LGBTQ people.
- Southern Equality Fund grants are intended to support grassroots and new work with annual budgets of less than $50,000; however, if your group’s budget is more than $50,000, please go ahead and request funding, explaining why your work is a fit in the application.
- You may not request additional funding if you have already received $1,000 from the Southern Equality Fund in the past six months. This restriction does not apply to Rapid Response rounds.
- Although groups are not required to be a 501(c)3 or have a fiscal sponsor in order to receive funding, we do require that all groups adhere to 501(c)(3) requirements for funded work.
What we prioritize:
These are not required, but guide our funding decisions:
- Groups or individuals that face barriers to funding their work.
- Work by and for underserved and marginalized communities.
- Leadership demonstrates commitment to racial, economic and gender justice.
- Work that centers the voices and leadership of Trans and GNC (Gender Non-Conforming) individuals and people of color within the LGBTQ community.
- Projects that respond to immediate and urgent community needs.
- Projects that work toward long-term change.
This post is also available in: Spanish