ACF provides grants to community-based organizations working for social, economic, racial and environmental justice. We support community organizing for social change that is community-led and community-based, addressing root causes and systemic issues, and understanding forms of oppression, especially racism. We encourage organizations that have developed a realistic plan for achieving change. We place a priority on work that utilizes organizing and education to promote social change and we invite projects that are startup in nature. We encourage groups to work together, share information, educate their target audiences and broaden the movement for progressive social change.
Currently accepting applications on an ongoing basis for:
- LGTBQ Initiative: This Initiative is designed to support LGBTQ organizational building, strengthening Lesbian and Gay Community institutional resources, and capacity building for LGBTQ organizing efforts. ACF also seeks applications from new and emerging organizations, work with LGBTQ youth, and networking efforts to connect LGBTQ work throughout Central Appalachia.
- Technical Assistance grants: These are small grants for specific technical assistance needs identified by the organization.
- Power and Powerlessness Fund: To provide modest amounts of support to non-profit organizations seeking to challenge injustice and inequality and to overcome powerlessness in the Appalachian Region, with a special but not exclusive focus on the coal communities in the four counties of the Clear Fork Valley area.
Organizations Wishing to Apply Should:
- Have their 501(c)(3) tax exempt status or have a fiscal sponsor that is a 501(c)(3) organization
- Work in the Appalachian counties of Tennessee, Kentucky, Virginia, and/or West Virginia. For organizations based outside the region, the proposal must include a specific work plan for the Appalachian portion of the work
- Have and demonstrate an understanding and analysis of forms of oppression especially structural racism
- Have strong local community leadership representative of and accountable to the organization’s constituency
This post is also available in: Spanish